I have been hard at work the last two months realizing many improvements to the underlying CGI Proxy code that I have always wanted to do but never had time for.
As a result we now have:
- Rudimentary Hotmail support
- A cleaner looking interface
- Improved RC4 url handling
- Proper proxying of meta refresh tags
- Various techniques to reduce abuse and thereby improve performance for everyone
- Improved Youtube support
- HTML obfuscation
- Better support for SSL
- Several CGI Proxy Bug Fixes
- Backend caching improvements
- Various changes that make general maintenance much easier
- URL Expiration
All of the above things represent a major breakthrough that will allow us to provide much better performance to end users while maintaining the profitability of providing our free service. It also means that one major part of developing free proxies is done. With the backend having most of the features and bug fixes that I’ve wanted for a long time, I can now focus my efforts on building the front end to this system, which will allow me to give free proxy hosting to anyone who wants it. Our anticipated release date is early September.
Nothing comes for free however, and this particular technique has a couple of drawbacks.
- Secondly, wrapping all html in a hex encoding greatly increases bandwidth usage, since the majority of characters that used to take up just one byte now are represented by three characters apiece. To deal with this problem, I had to enable Gzip compression on my proxy, which necessarily increases cpu usage, but dealt with the huge bandwidth usage increase from this change.
- Third, by obfuscating the home pages of the proxies, the content of my sites becomes invisible to search engines and all bots. This means that the benefit of having my sites stay unblocked longer is offset by the corresponding reduction in traffic that search engines can send me, because there are virtually no keywords whatsoever that spiders can use to categorize my site. Users who use contextual advertising on their homepage (such as adsense) need to be careful, because enabling obfuscation on the entirety of those pages will make it impossible for the contextual ad network to properly target your ads.
Thank you all for visiting my site. I am very excited to be working on the free proxies project.c40